Re: Mosaic and <link> tags

On 12 May 97 at 17:29, www-html@w3.org wrote:

> At 03:04 PM 5/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Could you put a GIF online and post the URL here? :-) (Isn't the Web great?;)
>
> 	http://sdg.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~mag/Graphics/mos30link.gif    (59K)
>
> the page that appears in the main windowframe is my home page, which has
> two <link> tags, and whose URL appears in my .signature.

NCSA Mosaic 3.0 also has glyphs for defined link relationships like
Index, Up, Next, etc.  For a look at some of these, see

http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/mosaic.gif

Mosaic also provides buttons for unknown relationships, which has the
unfortunate side-effect of including a button to an externally LINKed
style sheet (as shown above).  And for some reason, Mosaic refers to
REV=Made links as "Bookmark".

Other browsers support LINKs as well.  UdiWWW (for Windows) has had
support for LINKs for ages:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/udiwww.gif

And of course Lynx supports them:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/lynx.gif

AMSD Ariadna (a Windows browser) also supports LINKs, but
unfortunately I can't give you a screen shot since the last couple
versions of that browser GPF on startup for me.  Earlier versions
(before Java support was added) were more stable, and offered LINKs
via a pull-down menu--a nice approach given the heavy use of screen
real-estate by NCSA Mosaic 3.0 and UdiWWW.

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============