Re: &xnnnn;

Christopher R. Maden (
Mon, 12 May 1997 14:37:13 GMT

From: "Christopher R. Maden" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:37:13 GMT
Subject: Re: &xnnnn;

[Misha Wolf]
> At the HTML WG meeting, I hope to help sort out the various
> i18n-related errors in Cougar.  This mail deals with one point which
> is a proposal rather than a bug report.
> As:
> 1.  the Cougar document character set is ISO 10646/Unicode, and
> 2.  that standard uses a hexadecimal character numbering scheme, and
> 3.  not many people are good at doing hexadecimal-to-decimal conversion in
>     their heads,
> it would be helpful to allow hex NCRs.  It would be best to follow
> the XML syntax for this and follow the "&" with an "x".  All of
> these represent the same character:
>    &65;
>    &x41;

XML also dealt with this issue; as a result, a proposed technical
corrigendum to SGML is being considered this week to allow references
of the form &#Xhhhh; to refer to hexadecimal character numbers.  HTML
should permit whatever format is finalized in the SGML TC.

Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA
Inso Corporation                      +1.401.421.9550 (voice)
Electronic Publishing Solutions       +1.401.521.2030 (facsimile)