Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?

On 10 May 97 at 20:40, www-html@w3.org wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> > Since browsers tend to be used as part of the authoring
> > process, they should also support validation and error reporting.

HotJava does this in a nice, unobtrusive way by including an error
button on the toolbar.

> I have no interest in SGML other than HTML authoring, BUT a lot of
> my documents don't conform to an active DTD for various reasons. I generally
> use the 3.2 tagset, but I also use CLASS because I think CSS1 is pointless
> without it, and often I use ISO-8859-7 (Greek) characters, which will not
> validate with the 3.2 DTD. I don't know how to make my own DTD, and can't
> afford the rather incredible effort it will take to learn how to, since I
> don't require knowledge of any other SGML application. My documents are
> still useable with the vast majority of user agents, so how can I validate
> them?

By what you've described, you should have no problem validating
against the Cougar DTD.  See
<http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/dtd.html> for details.

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============