Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Paul Prescod wrote:

> I would encourage you to modify the DTD rather than the parser. Once
> you've hardcoded that error recovery crap there is no easy way to go
> back. Plus your users might be interested in the ability to test their
> pages out against multiple DTDs: "Does this conform to HTML 2.0? 3.2?
> Extended HTML?"

Having said that, you may need your parser to be somewhat error-allowing.
There are certain cases of broken HTML which simply cannot be represented
in a valid DTD (Stewart Brodie's example of broken comments, for
instance).
This could, however, be comfortably accomplished by having a preparser
which attempts to knock invalid HTML into whicever DTD your parser is
written for (or is using at the moment).

Just a thought,
James

   James Aylett -- Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk) Ftp and Web
            Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk