Re: Israeli HTML Standard

Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@NetVision.net.il)
Mon, 05 May 1997 20:47:57 +0200

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:47:57 +0200
To: ILAN-H  Discussion in and about Hebrew in the network              <ILAN-H@taunivm.tau.ac.il>
From: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>
Subject: Re: Israeli HTML Standard
Cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>

At 14:00 05/05/97 +0000, Misha Wolf wrote:
>Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
>
>>The Standards Institution of Israel (SII) is preparing a standard for
>>Hebrew in HTML. The standard is based on RFC 2070.
>
>That's good.  In what form will it be published?  An RFC?

For the Hebrew version, a Israeli standard. For the English version, I'm
not sure, now that HTML has moved from IETF to W3C. Maybe a W3C Note?

>I hope the language code used is "he" and not "iw".  Though ISO 639 was
amended
>in 1989 to use "he" for Hebrew and "yi" for Yiddish, lots of people are still
>using the old codes ("iw" and "ji").

The draft specifies using the new codes and accepting both the new and the
old.

>>An English translation of the draft (and the Hebrew version too) is
>>available upon request.
>
>Yes, please.  Is the English draft reachable via the Web?

I placed it at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Jonathan_Rosenne/SI4281E3.ans

Jonathan