Re: Cougar DTD - I18N

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Fri, 2 May 1997 20:10:31 -0400 ()

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 20:10:31 -0400 ()
From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Cougar DTD - I18N

> The main discrepancy is the ommision of %just from the following
> elements:  OL, UL, DIR, MENU, LI, BLOCKQUOTE, ADDRESS.

This is a presentation attribute inheritance mechanism, and better
suited for style sheets. In general we are trying to avoid adding
new presentation attributes or elements now that style sheets have
been accepted.

> Also, the DIR and LANG attributes were deleted for the ADDRESS,
> IMG, DIR, FORM, HEAD, HTML, IMG, LISTING, MENU, PLAINTEXT, XMP.

This is still under discussion. Some of these elements are
deprecated e.g. LISTING, PLAINTEXT and XMP, along with DIR and MENU.
The document language is set by the HTTP Content-Language header or
the corresponding META/HTTP-EQUIV element. Avoiding LANG on HEAD and
HTML avoids the need for a conflict resolution procedure. As for
the other elements, its still to early to say what the consensus
will be in the HTML working group.

Dave Raggett - <dsr@w3.org> tel +1 617 258 5741 fax +1 617 258 5999
World Wide Web Consortium 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139