Re: content negotiation

Jeff de la Beaujardiere (
Fri, 2 May 1997 09:03:51 -0400

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:03:51 -0400
From: Jeff de la Beaujardiere <>
Subject: Re: content negotiation

Andrew Daviel writes:
> User-agent checking scripts don't cache properly, meaning they're either
> slow bandwidth hogs for overseas users, or get the agent wrong.

I agree, which is why I called them horrible.

UA-checking scripts also can't tell whether I've disabled JavaScript or
image loading, so even getting the agent right is of limited use.

> You can always use e.g. JavaScript if supported to treat UAs differently

Can JavaScript tell whether image loading has been enabled?  Is suspect
(without having checked) that the navigator.mimeTypes[] property includes
image types even when their loading has been disabled.  A method analogous
to navigator.javaEnabled() would be useful.

--Jeff dLB

  = J-F Pitot de La Beaujardiere