Re: wish list

Ingo Macherius (Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de)
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:19:06 +0100 (MET)

Subject: Re: wish list
To: schampeo@hesketh.com (Steven Champeon)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:19:06 +0100 (MET)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Ingo Macherius <Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de>

Steven,

> Well, that can get pretty bulky after a while. What I'd like to
> be able to do is something like this:

> <!ENTITY "myf6" "<font face=3DTimes size=3D6>">
> <BODY ...>
> %myf6; text </font>

> Am I right out to lunch here, or would this be hard to implement?

It is, but it is already done by James Clark :) Get sp-1.1.1 from=20
http://www.jclark.com/sp/ and have a look at the "sgmlnorm" utility.
It reads in your document and consults a catalog. It=B4s not too tricky
to build your own library of entities. The output will be ordinary HTML,
even better: valid HTML.

E.g.:

1) set up a catalog like this
PUBLIC  "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN//HTML" ISOlat1.ent
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN" local.dtd

2) define your local DTD like this

        <!ENTITY % html.dialect   SYSTEM  "html.dtd">
        %html.dialect;
        <!ENTITY % local.entities SYSTEM "local.entities.dtd">
        %local.entities;

and set up entities and parameter entities. The latter are nice as "#ifde=
f"
construct. sgmlnorm can be called passing a command line option to set
a particular parameter entity. Tricky things can be constructed from this.

3) Mark up your enties unsing *any* SGML construct. Set up entity librari=
es
etc.
4) Make some control (e.g. script or .bat) to read marked up pages from=20
directory A and write HTML to dircetory B by redirecting STDIN and STDOUT
trough sgmlnorm.

I made several medium-size projects that only use sgmlnorm. It's especial=
ly
nice to create parts of your local DTD from database entries etc. It's fr=
ee,
it works *now* and can be reused if XML succeds.

	++im
--=20
Snail : Ingo Macherius // L'Aigler Platz 4 // D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfel=
Mail  : Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~i=
nim/
Information!=3DKnowledge!=3DWisdom!=3DTruth!=3DBeauty!=3DLove!=3DMusic=3D=
=3DBEST (Frank Zappa)