Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

At 12:55 PM 3/23/97 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Steven Champeon wrote:
>> I must ask - what is SGML to you? I thought it was a standard for
>> defining document types such as HTML. HTML, therefore, would be an
>> instance of an SGML DTD. There is no such thing as ``tagging files
>> in SGML'' apart from using a specific tagset.
>
>The DTD should be chosen based on the needs of the document, and not
>based on what arbitrary set of tags Netscape has decided to implement
>this week. That is what people mean when they talk about storage in SGML
>"vs." storage in HTML.

Oh. The way you all were talking about it, it had the ring of "talk
in language, not English". Bit of confusion between the genera and
species there. So I can still walk away from this discussion knowing
that the SGML community has disowned HTML as an SGML application,
and considers any SGML implementation other than HTML a valid and
defensible one, as long as one has the choice of whether or not to
use it...

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steven Champeon                  !        I'll sleep
Web Guru/Intranet Builder        !       when I'm dead.