Re: "Mailto" Command

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, D.Erickson wrote:

> Brent Maxwell wrote:
> >
> > it's something like mailto:someone@somewhere?subject=hello
>
> How about a mailto link that simultaneously fills in a Blind CC
> as well as the subject line?  I tried two separate ? separators
> but that just fills in the field with the "command" for the other
> field, i.e. Subject line is filled in with: hello?bcc=someone@somewhere

A teeny weeny note here: These are hacks by Netscape that WILL break any
other browser who will try to mail a message to an address like
someone@somewhere?subject=foobar and promptly complain that it is an invalid
address (or, given the complexity of mail networks today, send it somewhere
it should most definetely not get to).

The way to do this today is to use an HTML form to get these headers and use
a CGI program to process the data the user inputs in this form to mail the
message.

Problematic, yes, but that's the only way you can do this given current URL
schemes. I believe work is being done at this point to improve the
functionality of the mailto scheme, but that is definetely the way to do
it.

Incedentaly, this is not the forum to ask this question. This list is about
technical discussion of HTML features. There are other places that are
suited to "how do I" questions.

--
Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
I've never finished anything I began, but this time I'm