Longevity and Evolution (was Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an , output format)

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:43:37 -0800 (PST)

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:43:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Longevity and Evolution (was Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an , output format)

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Paul Prescod wrote:
> If something like GlobeTrotter didn't trap my data in a binary format
> specialized for software on a potentially endangered platform I would
> use it for simple jobs

MS-Windows is just as "potentially endangered". Anyone who thinks Windows
will last for centuries is out of their gourd! Someday in the future, ALL
existing OS's will seem like "stone knives and bearskins". Look at the
computers on Star Trek which are protocol-adapting in real time, and try
to say, without laughing, "That could happen in a Microsoft world."