Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

Stephanos Piperoglou (
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:14:13 +0200 (EET)

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:14:13 +0200 (EET)
From: Stephanos Piperoglou <>
Subject: Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 wrote:

> This discussion seems to have degenerated. I'm not going to respond to
> the attacks on why this group of experts dislikes Globetrotter.
> Globetrotter isn't designed for programmers. Here's the point: let's tell
> an average user that it's easy to break single doc into multiple pages.
> All you have to do is:
> >From: Paul Prescod <>
> > [deletia]
> This is going to blow them away. And of course it won't work if they type
> it in exactly as above because the line breaks screw things up. Writing
> should not require programming.

Well, if Globetrotter did that *for* them, then it would be a great product.
I am one of those people that do HTML by hand, but don't have the time or
expertise to do SGML by hand, but would greatly appreciate a free - since I
can't afford most proffessional commercial SGML tools - program that does
this FOR me.

Then again, most of the web pages I have designed are not well described by
SGML documents. At least one is described by an SQL database (another
beautiful format that is ASCII based and almost universally accepted). And I
used WebSQL to make this into web pages. I might have preffered something
else, but there was nothing there.

You see, I'm a high school student. I may have an active interest in
computers and I'll be working towards a CS degree starting next year, but
I don't have the technical knowledge to use SGML or SQL or C or whatever to
produce HTML. I can write HTML - that's trivial. And I can create things in
SQL or SGML given the right tools. But if I want to make these available on
the Web, I have to make my OWN tools for converting them to that, which on
most occasions is more work than I'm willing to put into the project.

I'm not a solitary case. Most people who write web pages have their
information in some proprietary or generic format, which they can't read or
write, but have created by using user-friendly tools. These people simply
want to put these documents ON THE WEB. There's no easy way to do this. And
nobody's trying to come up with one.

Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou -
I've never finished anything I began, but this time I'm