Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:29:55 -0500

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:29:55 -0500
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Terje Norderhaug <Terje@in-Progress.com>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

Terje Norderhaug wrote:
> The web server companion Interaction/IP on the Mac is well prepared for all
> that you describe, as I share your vision about document management.
> Interaction is technically a light-weight SGML document publishing system
> particularly suited for dynamic adaptive sites, and the only web server
> companion on the Mac to have a long time clearly stated commitment to SGML.

That is nice to hear. I will have to take back what I was thinking about
Macintosh programmers and the Macintosh culture. =)

> Interaction includes an almost complete Common LISP interpreter, and I
> welcome anybody that want to play with such LISP syntax stylesheet mappings
> (or implementing other capabilities) to join in and see what you can make
> as an extension for Interaction on the Mac:

That is nice to hear. I would encourage you to look at Jade as it would
be nice to have products that do roughly the same things converge on a
syntax. James Clark's goal for Jade is that as HTML evolves, and CSS
support becomes widespread, HTML would be just another DSSSL target,
like RTF.

 Paul Prescod