Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

At 07:46 PM 3/22/97 -0700, F. E. Potts wrote:
>This is a kind of strange thread. :-)

And this is kind of a strange post.

>SGML is a good storage medium, because it is a stable standard that has
>the capability to be converted into "the markup language of the
>moment".  One markup language of the moment is HTML 3.2, but HTML is a
>moving target and must be treated as such.

I must ask - what is SGML to you? I thought it was a standard for
defining document types such as HTML. HTML, therefore, would be an
instance of an SGML DTD. There is no such thing as ``tagging files
in SGML'' apart from using a specific tagset.

Unless you're using a specially abstracted storage mechanism... ;)

Steve

--
Steven Champeon                  !        I'll sleep
Web Guru/Intranet Builder        !       when I'm dead.