Re: INPUT enhancements - was Re: SELECT NEST proposal

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Simon Cox wrote:

> James Aylett wrote:

> > > I suggest <INPUT TYPE="range" NAME=string>
> > > but there are quite a few attributes that are needed, at least:
> > > 1.  variable type - float, int, ?alpha
> > > 2.  limits - min & max, and
> > > 3.  granularity/quanta
> > > 4.  selector type - slider|dial - though perhaps this is a client issue
> > > 5.  selector scaling - linear (default), logarithmic, ?reciprocal,
> > > ?square etc
> > > 6.  discontinuous ranges?
> >
> > I'm sure there are uses for logarithmic etc. scaling, but I can't think of
> > them at the moment ...
>
> There are many cases where the valid range may be
> eg 1->1000, where 5-4 (for example)
> is much greater in meaning than 995-994.
> The volume control on your stereo has this property.
> This can be handled by converting to a log scale
> before choosing (eg dB), but another solution is to
> have the non-linear selection hidden behind the knob,
> with the numbers on the knob still in units that
> the user is comfortable with.

If we're talking about what Microsoft FoxPro refers to as "spinners" (the
numerical textboxes with adjacent up/down mini-arrows), the way Apple's
color picker (which goes from 0-65535) handles it is that the longer you
hold down the arrow-button, the larger the increment/decrement for each
"tick". Thus, the first couple of seconds it goes 1,2,3; the next couple
of seconds it goes 10,20,30; the next couple of seconds it goes 100,200,300
and so on. You zero in on your desired number by "pumping the gas", so to
speak.

-Walter