Re: SELECT NEST proposal

MegaZone wrote:

> You know how you can nest lists with most windowing systems?  ...
> I'd like to see that for SELECT lists in HTML and I think it can be done
> so that it will not break current browsers.  I'm no SGML wiz, so if I messed
> up the DTD fragment please correct me.
>
> What do you think sirs?

- & "madams", I should think.

I like it - it fulfills one of my suggestions for extending
forms, posted to this list a month or so ago.  Maybe I should
have used a different "Subject" to get more attention ...

Now, what about (ii) sliders and dials,  (iii) multi-click imagemaps.

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Hmm. You know what I'd rather have? Dynamic lists. I know JavaScript can do
> actions upon popup selection, but I'd rather do server-side scripting.
>
> When "category2" is selected from the "cat" list, the browser will send
> "cat2top.cgi?cat=category2" to the server. That CGI will return an HTML
> snippet to replace the "topic" list with topics 4-6.

Too slow - send it all to the client - this really
isn't too much to ask of the browser.
Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
CSIRO Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
T:  +61 9 389 8421   F:  +61 9 389 1906   simon@ned.dem.csiro.au
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/unrestricted/people/CoxSimon/