Re: Not a www-html matter (Re: Upgrading the news URL)

> Which list would be more appropriate for this?  Is there a list or group
> specifically designed for discussion of URLs?  I wrote it here because
> it looked like the most appropriate discussion area I could find.

There are several active IETF working-groups that might have
opinions, but none is exactly on target.

You should look at what they have been working on before
sending messages to these groups.

There is no longer an active working group on URIs (URL/URN/URC/etc)
but there is a working group on URNs:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/urn-charter.html

There is no longer an active IETF working group on HTML
though the mailing list is still running; most responsiblity for
new HTML standards now is in the hands of the W3C.

There is a working group on NNTP extensions:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/nntpext-charter.html
but it doesn't seem concerned with URLs.

In practice though, if you want something that requires support
from every news server, you need a protocol extension as
well as a new URL syntax.

The HTTP working group is at:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/http-charter.html

but they have mostly been taking URLs as a given.

The MIME encapsulation of HTML working group isn't really
interested in news URLs, but you should look at their work:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mhtml-charter.html

They are defining a set of RFCs, which are likely, in the long
run, to increase the ammount of news and mail traffic which
is HTML  and other media types rather than plain text.

--
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu