Re: Not a www-html matter (Re: Upgrading the news URL)

Dan Fabulich (dfab@cinenet.net)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:58:01 -0800

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:58:01 -0800
From: Dan Fabulich <dfab@cinenet.net>
To: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Not a www-html matter (Re: Upgrading the news URL)

James Aylett wrote:

> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that some news hosts
> require users to log in. Hence using the <message-id>@host would be a
> silly idea, since we already need the format
> <URL:news://userid:password@host:port/> in the same way that ftp etc.
> works.

I think you've got it mixed up with the "nttp:" URL.  They're similar,
but the "news:" URL simply logs into your (previously configured) news
server and grabs the article.

> However I don't think that's all that useful. For a start, it's very
> machine-based (rather than human-based), since it uses the message-id
> rather than giving the newsgroup.

Cut-and-pasting a message-id isn't that hard.  Plus, newsreaders could
automate the process as it becomes more popular.

> For a second, it would mean that all the
> perfectly acceptable newsreaders out there would break, because people
> would start trying to inline references by doing something cunning with
> EMBED.

They wouldn't have to be EMBEDed, they could just be normal ol' links
in the text, which Netscape and IE read now anyway.

> Anyway, that's more than enough for the wrong list ...

Which list would be more appropriate for this?  Is there a list or group
specifically designed for discussion of URLs?  I wrote it here because
it looked like the most appropriate discussion area I could find.

     -He who laughs last thinks slowest-
                    dAN