Re: Not a www-html matter (Re: Upgrading the news URL)

Dan Fabulich (
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:58:01 -0800

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:58:01 -0800
From: Dan Fabulich <>
To: James Aylett <>
Subject: Re: Not a www-html matter (Re: Upgrading the news URL)

James Aylett wrote:

> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that some news hosts
> require users to log in. Hence using the <message-id>@host would be a
> silly idea, since we already need the format
> <URL:news://userid:password@host:port/> in the same way that ftp etc.
> works.

I think you've got it mixed up with the "nttp:" URL.  They're similar,
but the "news:" URL simply logs into your (previously configured) news
server and grabs the article.

> However I don't think that's all that useful. For a start, it's very
> machine-based (rather than human-based), since it uses the message-id
> rather than giving the newsgroup.

Cut-and-pasting a message-id isn't that hard.  Plus, newsreaders could
automate the process as it becomes more popular.

> For a second, it would mean that all the
> perfectly acceptable newsreaders out there would break, because people
> would start trying to inline references by doing something cunning with

They wouldn't have to be EMBEDed, they could just be normal ol' links
in the text, which Netscape and IE read now anyway.

> Anyway, that's more than enough for the wrong list ...

Which list would be more appropriate for this?  Is there a list or group
specifically designed for discussion of URLs?  I wrote it here because
it looked like the most appropriate discussion area I could find.

     -He who laughs last thinks slowest-