Re: Dynamic imagemaps

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:47:11 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Dynamic imagemaps
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:47:11 -0800

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> Hey, I just thought of another twist:  VRML imagemaps (i.e., 3D
areas).

> Is there anything set up for that? Should there be?

The UA window should be a 3-space viewport, with the default 2D plane
being the view plane bounded by the corners of the window. Any object
could have a clickable map, with either two or three dimensions. The
clickable area is projected onto the view plane, and changes with
viewpoint. Any 2D object can be translated into 3-space, so you should
be able to hang a clickable 2D image on a 3D object without combining
the two into a single file. For that matter, a web document should be
able to place objects in 3-space, then map parts of the document onto
the objects.

The entire GUI should be 3-space, with the 'desktop' just another
virtual object.

David Perrell