Re: any ideas for slashed zero's

Neil St.Laurent (
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:05:39 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:05:39 -0600
Subject: Re: any ideas for slashed zero's

> and get the one with a slash.  Slashes are commonly used and needed
> due to the difficulty of detecting the zero among other alphabetic
> characters, such as in my call sign in the signature of this
> message.

I agree with a few others that this is mainly a font issue over
anything else.  For the same reason should we have a character that
ensures one's are properly serifed to avoid confusion with lower case
L's?  What about 1's and 7's?  What about uppercase I and lowercase
L?  And god knows how many cases of this will arise with
internationalization and 16bit characters!

I think the one thing we should assume when designing pages is that
the font used is reasonably accurate in distinguishing characters.