Re: any ideas for slashed zero's

   From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
   Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:46:30 -0600

   I am an amateur radio operator and the more pages I put up about
   amateur radio the more I would like to put the slashes in the zero's
   amateurs commonly use.  However most fonts on the PC don't include a
   slash, not to mention that would limit me to a particular font.  I have
   thought about using CSS to backup and place the slash over the zero,
   not sure that is a great idea though.  I was wondering if any future
   font specification was going to address this.  Then maybe I could use
   something like &szero; in HTML, a browser that can't choose between the
   zero's just places a "0" there while others go and get the one with a
   slash.  Slashes are commonly used and needed due to the difficulty of
   detecting the zero among other alphabetic characters, such as in my
   call sign in the signature of this message.

Using &szero seems reasonable.  Of course, that assumes your browser has
full unicode support.

I don't have a unicode table handy--it might already exist.  If not,
it's probably possible to get it added, though I'm not exactly sure how.

OTOH, a zero really is a zero whether or not it has a slash.  So maybe
it is a font issue.  But if it is, I don't know how to resolve it.