Re: Draft profile of ISO 8601

Misha Wolf (
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:11:37 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:11:37 +0000 (GMT)
From: Misha Wolf <>
Subject: Re: Draft profile of ISO 8601
To: Time Zones <>, meta2 <>,
        www-html <>,

Pete Ciuffetti has given me permission to quote his private mail:

> In your levels of granularity, what do you think about allowing year-only,
> "YYYY" and year-month "YYYY-MM".  This would help solve a need I perceive
> in our database design at SilverPlatter.  Most of our records are
> bibliographic and they specify the date of publication for some described
> item like a book or journal.  Typically this is just a year, like "1997" or
> it is a year and month, "Feb 1997",  sometimes a day is specified.
> In my metadata, I'd like to store whatever granularity that makes sense for
> the published item and I would like all the dates to conform to a standard.
> But no standard seems to consider these broader levels of granularity.

ISO 8601 does.  I would be very happy to add these options to the profile.

> Also, in these broad levels for comparison purposes, I suggest implied
> values would be 01 for an unspecified month, and 01 for an unspecified day.

For the moment, I have backed away from suggesting how dates of differing
granularities be compared, as it is contentious.

> Regards,
> Pete Ciuffetti
> SilverPlatter

Misha Wolf            Email:     85 Fleet Street
Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.