Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)

Andrew Daviel (
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Daviel <>
To: Jordan Reiter <>
Subject: Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Jordan Reiter wrote:

> >In practice this has been stripped down to:

> >*Because users didn't understand the rest*
> I don't think this is true.  I think this is because a) Most HTML
> specification talks only about those two listed; people first learning the
> META tag generally are only given these two as options (check most beginner

... as a writer of some "beginner documentation", I'm interested in the
derivation of the original elements. Are they defined anywhere properly ?
I.e. what other elements are suggested/allowed for resource-type
and location ?

> I guarantee it.  If uses are led to understand the importance of meta-data,
> and are given simple, understandable categories like:
> NAME="Description"
> NAME="Keywords"
> NAME="Author"
> NAME="Lang"
> etc., then they will use it.

 .. Dublin Core ( defines
 NAME="DC.creator"       (author of text, artist/photog for images etc.)

etc., which I intend to promote as soon as we agree on syntax for
defining schemes, subtypes etc. (e.g. scheme=LCCSH ,Library of Congress
Subject Headings).

Andrew Daviel