Re: Case sensitive attribute *names* in Cougar?

Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:43:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:43:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@htmlhelp.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Case sensitive attribute *names* in Cougar?

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> Recently I received a message from someone who claimed that the
> "Cougar" HTML proposal will define the "intrinsic event" attributes
> (onmouseover, onsubmit, etc) as being *case sensitive*.
>
> As far as I can tell, this goes entirely against the SGML rules
> that element and attribute names are case insensitive, so I would
> like to know if there is any truth to this.

Arnoud,

It wouldn't go againts SGML rules to have element and attribute
names case insensitive. All I think would be needed would be
to have somewhere in the SGML declaration something like

NAMECASE GENERAL NO
	 ENTITY NO

instead of the current

NAMECASE GENERAL YES
	 ENTITY NO

However, I can assure you that this is far from anything I
have heard recently about "Cougar". And I have been rather
involved in other discussions about "Cougar" and case
sensitivity, so I guess I would have to know.

Regards,	Martin.