Re: Case sensitive attribute *names* in Cougar?

Christopher R. Maden (crm@eps.inso.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:13:53 GMT

From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crm@eps.inso.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:13:53 GMT
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Case sensitive attribute *names* in Cougar?

[Arnoud Engelfriet]
> Recently I received a message from someone who claimed that the
> "Cougar" HTML proposal will define the "intrinsic event" attributes
> (onmouseover, onsubmit, etc) as being *case sensitive*.
>
> As far as I can tell, this goes entirely against the SGML rules that
> element and attribute names are case insensitive, so I would like to
> know if there is any truth to this.

Was the person claiming that the attribute *names* or *values* would
be case sensitive?  In most SGML, including HTML, names are always
folded to upper-case.  The values, however, can be case sensitive if
declared as type CDATA (which I believe those are).

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA