Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:38:41 -0400 (EDT)

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)
To: advax@triumf.ca
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:38:41 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> What's the prognosis for XML, anyway ? Is it going to gradually take over
> from HTML as a repository of cool features ? PDF seems to have achieved
> a niche for product datasheets, but I see it as a hiccup in the smooth
> flow of HTML (start another process, crack another window, wait ...)

Prognosis for XML? It depends on what you define "cool"? XML is already being
used as the basis for at least three other standards, so its success in that
regard seems guaranteed at this point. As a competitor to HTML? Well, it
wasn't intended to be one. I haven't noticed any cool features in HTML
recently, so I'm not sure which of them XML would take over. I would hope
that XML+Stylesheets would be able to express anything HTML could.

 Paul Prescod