Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)

Paul Prescod (
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:29:16 -0400

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:29:16 -0400
From: Paul Prescod <>
Subject: Re: MCF's new implementation (via XML)

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> > For anyone who hasn't heard yet:
> >
> >    <,4,11470,00.html>
> Does anyone know of a link to a public copy of the actual proposal by
> Netscape? My reading of the Apple MCF documents did not encourage me to
> believe this is simple enough to work in the real world (read in a world
> where metadata schemas are beyond 99% of author's comprehension levels)
> and the W3C link goes into 'member only' areas.

There are two links in the same paragraph. The second goes to .

As far as working comprehension levels, the ability of end-users to read
the meta-data schema definition format is probably not crucial. Millions
of people who use HTML do not know what a DTD looks like. Someone else
maintains the DTD and they write code. The same makes sense for

 Paul Prescod