Re: Israeli HTML Standard

Moshe Shalom (moshe_shalom@easx.co.il)
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:30:52 +0300

From: Moshe Shalom <moshe_shalom@easx.co.il>
To: "'David Rashty +972-2-6584848'" <RASHTY@WWW4.HUJI.AC.IL>
Cc: Dani Ilan <standard@NetVision.net.il>, Stefan Fuchs <sf@bezeq.co.il>,
Cc: Moshe Shalom <moshe_shalom@easx.co.il>,
Cc: Glenn Adams <glenn@spyglass.com>, "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>,
Cc: Yaniv Feinberg <yanivf@microsoft.com>,
Cc: Edward Resnick <Edward.Resnick@Israel.Sun.COM>,
Subject: RE: Re: Israeli HTML Standard
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:30:52 +0300

Hi,

I understand that you got the idea from one of the members of the =
committee that the Visual will not be a "valid option" for the HTML =
standard for Hebrew. It is true in the sense that it will be mentioned =
as an option that exists in the field but is not a part of the standard. =

One of the goals of the committee is to steer to directions that will =
benefit the Israeli public. If all the browsers will comply to the =
logical standard it will be much better for us all. So, we are trying to =
make it happen.=20

This is not to say that the other implementations will be "illegal". =
They will be only "non-standard". People from abroad, people with =
english browsers, etc. will always have the option to use visual if they =
want to. Sites should offer both options if they want people to be happy =
and to cover the maximum of users.

One happy day, in the UNICODE future of things, software coming from the =
states will be able to have logical seamlessly.  Until then we, as the =
Israel Bureau of Standards, should try to give a good framework for the =
future years.

Best Regards,

Moshe Shalom
Internet Manager