Re: pages

Tony Barry wrote:

> At 11:11 PM 31/5/97, Erik Aronesty wrote:
> >The concept of "pages" and "paged output" is an important one in
> >        human understanding of readable content.
>
> In my comments I use "page" in the browser context as a  single html file.
>
> Logical groupings of material is an important one in human understanding of
> readable content.  Division of such content into fixed page sizes conflicts
> with that.
>

> >Currently HTML is a "scrolling" medium without pages.
> >

> HTML is a medium which allows you to break up information on the basis of
> need rather that on the limitataions of a print format.

On the Web, I think the concept of "page" is different from the
normal concept of page.
The foundamental unit of information on the Web is the "document".
When you click to follow a link in a browser, your request is to
retrieve the content of a document and not about a specific page of
the document.
If some authors split a document in ..."pages", that I prefere to call
document or sub-document too, it may be for some reasons:
emulation of pages, organize information about the contents,
simplify reading, graphic presentation, etc...
(I'm sorry for the language, I'm not very skilled in English).
bye Fabio

             ITALTEL SpA - A Stet and Siemens company
                Design Methodologies & Tools Labs
                          DRSI-RSC-ICD
 Name   :  Fabio Preda                 Phone  (+39.2) 43887069
 E-mail :  Fabio.Preda@italtel.it      Fax    (+39.2) 43888593
 Address:  Via Reiss Romoli, Palazzo Laboratori - CLTE (C01)
           20019 Castelletto di Settimo Milanese
           Milano (ITALY)