Re: Link Tag

In article <339ECC59.4FC9@ee.usyd.edu.au>,
fanxin <fanxin@ee.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi, anyone can answer my question:
>     I tried to use <link> tag in HTML <head>. The HTML reference says
> that both Explorer and Netscape support <link> tag. and it will add a

Which HTML reference is that? Neither of these browsers use the LINK
element for the toolbar application that you're trying to implement
here.

> <link TITLE="Here is my home page" REL="HOME" HREF="myhome.htm">

On supporting browsers, you will see a button labeled "Here is my
home page" which when pressed takes you to relative URL "myhome.htm"
(or perhaps the TITLE is used as balloon help, and the button says
"HOME" or displays a home icon). Unfortunately, NS or IE are amongst
these supporting browsers.

>     what I want to know is the effection of link tag. what will it do to
> a page?

The LINK element specifies relationships between this document and
another; in your example, you have identified the "home" document
("homepage") for this document. Other values for REL include

Prev, Next - previous and next document in sequence
Up - document directly above this one in the hypertext tree
ToC - table of contents for this document

A possible application for REV is

<LINK REV=made HREF="mailto:galactus@htmlhelp.com">

which is used to identify the creator of the document, and in some
browsers this enables a feature to send him mail with a special
button or keystroke.

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>