Re: pages

Sarr Blumson (
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 09:30:30 -0400

From: "Sarr Blumson" <>
To: Erik Aronesty <>
cc: "''" <>,
Subject: Re: pages
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 09:30:30 -0400

In message <>,
Erik Aronesty writes:
>The concept of "pages" and "paged output" is an important one in
>	human understanding of readable content.

Pages are an "appearance" feature, not a structure feature.  As such they are
very dependent on other appearance features such as font and window sizes.
These are the sorts of features that a user needs to be able to control on an
individual basis to accommodate individual differences: most carefully laid out
"pages" end up looking pretty awful when displayed with the enormous fonts I
use so I can read them and the "landscape" layout window I use to accommodate

If your suggesting that browsers should be configurable to force a "page break"
on a level one header I would agree completely.  I could even deal with a
"force new page" tag although I suspect it will end up being grossly misused.
But adding "page" as a primary concept ignores the fact that this _isn't_ paper
and misses the opportunity it provides to let readers control appearance for
their own comfort and needs.

Sarr Blumson
voice: +1 313 764 0253           FAX: +1 313 763 8937
ITD, University of Michigan
535 W William, Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943