Re: HTML 4.0/SGML, (#PCDATA)* problem in TEXTAREA

Neil St.Laurent (neil@bigpic.com)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:18:14 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <neil@bigpic.com>
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:18:14 -0600
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0/SGML, (#PCDATA)* problem in TEXTAREA
CC: www-html@w3.org

In the time of 29 Jul 97:13:26, Paul Prescod pronounced:

> I don't think that <HELLO> and <P> are allowed in <TEXTAREA> so your
> document is invalid and any rendering is as appropriate as another. The
> HTML spec. does not specify the behaviour of incorrect documents..

Seems odd that both browsers are treating the TEXTAREA as RCDATA
though...

What is HTML's position on handling unknown tags though?  According
to SGML they should simply cause the document to be invalid, but it
appears (and I remember reading) that HTML browsers are to simply
pretend as though the unknown tag wasn't there.
__