Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces. (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces. (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Liam Quinn shaped the electrons to say...
>We've established that there is no use for multiple non-breaking spaces
>except as a presentation hack, so why not define the non-breaking space as
>collapsible?  The other alternatives are to define it as non-collapsible,

I say non-collapsable.  I do not consider it whitespace - it is a character
with no visible glyph IMHO.  "AA" is not collapsed to "A".

Sure it is used as a presentation hack - so what?  A LOT of things are
used as a presentation hack.  Are we to start eliminating any element that
could possibly be abused?

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588