Occurrence indicators for #PCDATA

Holger Wahlen (wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 01:07:47 +0200

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 01:07:47 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
From: wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE (Holger Wahlen)
Subject: Occurrence indicators for #PCDATA

Is there any difference between
	(#PCDATA),
	(#PCDATA)?,
	(#PCDATA)+
and	(#PCDATA)*
in an element content? I've just recently started to make
myself familiar with the SGML background of HTML, so my
picture of #PCDATA may be wrong, but I have the imagination
that this refers to something of arbitrary length, which
would mean that all four expressions would be equivalent. On
the other hand, I have found there are HTML elements (TITLE,
OPTION, TEXTAREA) that have (#PCDATA)* instead of simply
(#PCDATA) as their content, which makes me suspect they are
not quite the same. So, what's the right point of view?

Holger
____  |__|   / Holger   //       mailto:wahlen@ph-cip.uni-koeln.de  ____