Mdash and Textarea answers

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:44:51 -0700

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:44:51 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Mdash and Textarea answers

This isn't really a "how-do-i" mailing list, but since I'm a nice guy:

At 11:30a -0400 07/21/97, jptxs wrote:
 > what's the snippet of code to render
 > an M-Dash [a.k.a. a double unbreaking hyphen]?
 >
 > i looked through al the lists of codes i could
 > find and zilch came up.

Well, most existing browsers won't recognize it, but you can find the code
(plus codes for about 48 other special characters) in my 300-row table:

   <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>

At 1:55p -0400 07/21/97, Patrick Doyon wrote:

 > I'm building some sort of a "Guest Book" for our web site and, due
 > to database constraints, we want to restrict the user to enter a
 > message NO LONGER THAN 250 characters. How do I do this in HTML3.2?

I would make the area 62 cols by 4 rows (62 x 4 = 248), and include a note
that anything beyond may get truncated.