Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?

Abigail (abigail@fnx.com)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:13:52 -0400 (EDT)

From: abigail@fnx.com (Abigail)
Subject: Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?
To: chad@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Chad Owen Yoshikawa)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

You, Chad Owen Yoshikawa, wrote on May 11:
++
++ > The TITLE of a document has a very specific purpose. To UNIQUELY identify
++ > the document in human-readable terms. That's a very important property that
++ > most designers ignore. I've seen whole sites that use the same TITLE over
++ > tens of pages. A document's TITLE is obviously required and should be made
++ > as unique as possible, so as to distinguish it from others.
++
++ I thought about this, but the TITLE isn't unique.  It's not
++ like a filename, since the URL serves that purpose.

No, not really. HTML document can exist without being on the web; for
instance HTMLized manuals on a CD-ROM. Furthermore, documents on the
web may have more than one URL; or a document moves to a different URL -
without changing the title.

Abigail