Re: HTML 4.0 events and DOM requirements draft

Chris Ridd (C.Ridd@isode.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:57:15 +0100

To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@yasd.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0 events and DOM requirements draft
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:57:15 +0100
From: Chris Ridd <C.Ridd@isode.com>

> technique for attaching events as tag attributes, but a better approach
> would be to use some form of name/action pairs, such as name=onclick
> action=function(), rather than trying to list several, a list that will only

That doesn't work either, because I understand that SGML won't allow
you to write multiple instances of the same attribute:

<A NAME=onclick ACTION="foo()" NAME=onmouseenter ACTION="bar()"
HREF="/">Foo bar</A>

:-(

An alternate possibility is to use the <PARAM> element, as used in
<APPLET>.

<A HREF="/">
<PARAM NAME=onclick ACTION="foo()">
<PARAM NAME=onmouseenter ACTION="bar()">Foo bar</A>

Chris