Re: Research about WWW error 404

Arnoud (
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:08:41 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: Research about WWW error 404
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:08:41 +0200

In article <>,
Luis Fernando Garcia <> wrote:
> I need your experiences, tests, comments, solutions, * personal opinion
> * , resources and links related about:
>  "ERROR 404 - File Not Found" in www/http protocol.

Experiences: many.
Tests: Haven't done any to see if I could get a 404.
Comments: This happens if someone requests an URL that did not exist.
Solutions: None. Mail the webmaster if the URL should exist, but
other than that, you're out of luck.
Personal opinion: It's just one of the HTTP response codes, and it has
a well-defined purpose and fills a need.

What is this doing on www-html?

E-mail: .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <>