Re: Auxiliary document data, pop-ups and range links

Andrew Daviel (andrew@andrew.triumf.ca)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:59:04 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca>
To: "Ishida,Richard" <Richard_Ishida.rxl@eur.xerox.com>
cc: w3c html <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Auxiliary document data, pop-ups and range links

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Ishida,Richard wrote:

>  dashed underline, but that is user definable).  I click on the
>  highlighted term and a small box pops up on top of the document I?m
>  reading containing a definition of the term.  The definition could

One can do this kind of thing with JavaScript. The Alert function makes a
popup you have to click on.
At http://vancouver-webpages.com/ I made a page that uses onMouseover
to scroll a preloaded frame using in-page links. Since it's in the browser
cache it works much faster (at least on my 66MHz box) than a real popup
or Java applet, etc.

With XML I think you will be able to extend the markup language to
do this kind of thing more elegantly.

Andrew Daviel