Re: Line spacing (was Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0)

Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> NO! Characters are not images. You may not be aware of it, but
> there is some processing done between characters (as they are
> encoded) and glyphs (as they appear on screen or paper). In
> Arabic or in Indic scripts, this processing is quite important.

Right. I wrote "characters" when I meant "glyphs", as was pointed out
to me in a private post. Sorry, I should have qualified that sooner.

The character glyphs are simply inline images with a few additional
metrics. (Ideally, PNGs with transparent background to accommodate
antialiasing.)

David Perrell