Re: Line spacing (was Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0)

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:14:24 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Line spacing (was Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:14:24 -0700

Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> NO! Characters are not images. You may not be aware of it, but
> there is some processing done between characters (as they are
> encoded) and glyphs (as they appear on screen or paper). In
> Arabic or in Indic scripts, this processing is quite important.

Right. I wrote "characters" when I meant "glyphs", as was pointed out
to me in a private post. Sorry, I should have qualified that sooner.

The character glyphs are simply inline images with a few additional
metrics. (Ideally, PNGs with transparent background to accommodate
antialiasing.)

David Perrell