Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Liam Quinn wrote:

> I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here.  I've seen good arguments for
> and against collapsing non-breaking spaces, and I just thought that David
> shouldn't be let off without giving an argument.

I'm for non-breaking spaces not collapsing. The correct syllogism is:

- Only whitespace collapses
- Whitespace is only tabs, spaces and newlines
-   is neither tab, space, or newline.
------------------
Ergo,   doesn't collapse

(Well, that's not a valid syllogism using mathematical logic, but, I
wouldn't want to bore you since it would take too much space :))

A period (.) doesn't collapse. Yet people might still use scores of periods
to seperate page numbers from headings in a table of contents, when it
should be done automatically. In my reckoning, to avoid wrong practise, you
can't just make it impossible. You just have to offer a viable alternative.
With CSS and CSS positioning there's no reason people will resort to
for creating spaces.

--
    Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
All I wanted in my life was a little love and a lot of money. In that order.

                                                   ...oof porothika