Re: Specifying the width of table cells

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 07:01:35 -0700

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 07:01:35 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: Specifying the width of table cells

At 3:13p +0200 07/13/97, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:

 > I've always wondered why you'd want to set the width of
 > *one* cell in a column. I can understand HEIGHT on a TR,
 > but should WIDTH on, say, the last TD in a column apply
 > to all earlier cells in that column too? That would
 > require that the entire table is redrawn.

The reason you'd want to set the width of *one* cell in a column:

Browser A:

   /------------ Browser Window A ------------\
   | TD width=120 |                           |

Browser B:

   | TD width=120 |                                             |

This allows the table to be scalable to different browser widths,
something I consider of *extreme* importance.