Re: Line spacing (was Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0)

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 23:00:48 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Walter Ian Kaye" <walter@natural-innovations.com>, <www-html@w3.org>,
Subject: Re: Line spacing (was Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 23:00:48 -0700

Jordan Reiter wrote:
> Heck, you can do it with images, can't you?  In fact, you could, if
you so
> choose, place 3 identical IMG elements in a row without so much as a
fuss.
> How different, then, are BR's?

I think we should be trying to eliminate the distinction between images
and characters. A character IS an image. By the time it hits the
display, it might as well be a GIF with a transparent background.

And, hey, I admit it. I've got a totally transparent 'clear.gif' that
I've used with so many different WIDTH and HEIGHT measurements that I
forget its actual size.

That said, BR is a lot different than IMG, because it has no volume
(and no relationship to BGSOUND).

David Perrell