Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

At 4:11 AM -0000 7/13/97, Liam Quinn wrote:
>Not really, except perhaps that multiple spaces (non-breaking or
>otherwise) are not structural elements and thus should be ignored.  HTML
>4.0 defines the   entity as a method for prohibiting a line break.
>If we accept   as a non-collapsing, non-breaking space, HTML 4.0's
>definition would have to be augmented to also define   as a method
>for forcing a space.  But the fact that multiple spaces have nothing to do
>with structure and everything to do with presentation suggests that non-
>collapsible spaces have no place in HTML.
I'm not positive about this, but I'm guessing there are many instances in
which more than one space is applicable to content rather than simply
appearance.  I know, for example, that a sentence is normally supposed to
be followed by two spaces, for whatever reason.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]