Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

At 10:11p -0400 07/12/97, Liam Quinn wrote:
 > At 06:59 PM 12/07/97 -0700, David Perrell wrote:
 > >Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
 > >> 2. There is definite statement on    being collapsing or
 > >not.
 > >
 > >A statement there should definitely be, and it should definitely be
 > >'not'.
 >
 > Why?

At the risk of repeating what I probably already said sometime last year,
a non-breaking space is not a space -- it just *looks* like one. In the
Courier font (or a similar typewriter-mimicking font), the number "1"
looks exactly like the lowercase "l". But it's a different character code
and therefore a different character: nbspace is not space.

Syllogism:

Major premise: Spaces collapse.
Minor premise: NBspace is not a space. (It's just rendered to look like one.)
   Conclusion: Ergo, NBspaces do not collapse.