Re: An smtp URL scheme

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> So then it's like in programming languages where you'd put a backslash
> in front of a metacharacter? OK, but it's just too bad this subject was
> not hashed out sufficiently in 1993, because a URL must work in all
> existing browsers, and an & in a URL clearly does not. It is thus
> too late to change the browsers for SGML conformance, and I suggest that
> HTML specify that attribute values for URIs should allow the following:
>
>    <A HREF="/form.cgi?foo=bar&foo2=bar2">
>
> and *not* consider &foo2 as an entity error.

It wasn't too late for Netscape to fix ommiteting quote error that they
had.  Also, Lynx handles the &amp; correctly. (Ahhh, Lynx, almost the
perfect web browser.)  Plus making that change means that I can't grab an
off the shelf SGML parser to make my web browser.

--
Russell O'Connor            |              roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
        <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>