Re: An smtp URL scheme

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:52:51 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <>
To: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: An smtp URL scheme

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> So then it's like in programming languages where you'd put a backslash
> in front of a metacharacter? OK, but it's just too bad this subject was
> not hashed out sufficiently in 1993, because a URL must work in all
> existing browsers, and an &amp; in a URL clearly does not. It is thus
> too late to change the browsers for SGML conformance, and I suggest that
> HTML specify that attribute values for URIs should allow the following:
>    <A HREF="/form.cgi?foo=bar&foo2=bar2">
> and *not* consider &foo2 as an entity error.

It wasn't too late for Netscape to fix ommiteting quote error that they
had.  Also, Lynx handles the &amp; correctly. (Ahhh, Lynx, almost the
perfect web browser.)  Plus making that change means that I can't grab an
off the shelf SGML parser to make my web browser.

Russell O'Connor            |
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"