Null elements (was Re: HTML 4.0 draft available)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:

> At 04:48 PM 10/07/97 -0500, Rob wrote:
> [..]
> >It would be nice if browsers at least supported them as 'null'
> >elements (with no change in appearence) so that once can use them in
> >situations like <PERSON CLASS=Contributor> etc.
>
> Um, browsers already do that.  By not supporting the elements, they don't
> change the appearance of them.

Not really. In Netscape 4.0 (for example), if I define a style

  dfn.emphasize {color: green;}

and use in the body

  By <dfn class=emphasize>contextual markup</dfn> I am referring to
  elements which use most useful for indexing the content of a
  document...

Nothing is done with the markup, because <dfn> is not a recognized
element. So it doesn't even have the status of a 'null' placeholder.

Rob

---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)
Se habla PGP.