Re: An smtp URL scheme

At 1:54p -0400 07/10/97, Greg Marr wrote:

 > The general gist of the discussion was that in order to be 100%
 > conformant, the & in the URL would have to escaped as sgml entities,

Eeek, that breaks the extended mailto:

   <A HREF="mailto:boo@best.com?subject=Test&amp;body=TheBody">

resulted in the following in Eudora 3.1:

   To:      boo@best.com
   Subject: Test&body

because what that does is make it look like "Test&body" is the entire
value of the "subject=" field.

Also, I believe a URL should remain constant no matter what application
it appears in. Only markup-language applications would even understand
the &amp; entity -- if I double-click the URL as shown above in Eudora
(or launch it from *any* other non-browser application), it results in

   Subject: Test&amp;body

which is, of course, incorrect. And this would affect http URL schemes
as well as mailto schemes, so it's not just an extended-mailto failing.

 > and that any ampersands not used as seperators would have to be url-
 > escaped.

Naturally -- it was the separators as entities in dispute.