Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997  Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Rob wrote:
>
> > Ok, so what about a <FILENAME> or <URL> element? That would be
> > *very* useful IMO, since many authors (myself included)  are using
> > <TT> or <I> at the moment.
> [..]
> To support <FILENAME> new browsers will have to be made.  To support CSS,
> nw browers have to be made.  It would be pointless to create a <FILENAME>
> element because if browers supported this, then they would also support
> <SPAN CLASS=Filename>, which is a better solution.

Under that logic, we can use <SPAN CLASS=Strong> etc. The advantage
of <FILENAME> is that it tells the UA that the element contains a
filename. <SPAN CLASS=Filename> just tells the UA that the element is
marked up differently, and says nothing about the logical content.

As it is, browsers don't support useful markup tags like <PERSON>,
<ACRONYM>, <ABBREV>, and <DFN>.

It would be nice if browsers at least supported them as 'null'
elements (with no change in appearence) so that once can use them in
situations like <PERSON CLASS=Contributor> etc.

Rob

---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)
Se habla PGP.