Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

Rob (
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:48:02 -0500

From: "Rob" <>
To: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:48:02 -0500
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997  Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Rob wrote:
> > Ok, so what about a <FILENAME> or <URL> element? That would be
> > *very* useful IMO, since many authors (myself included)  are using
> > <TT> or <I> at the moment.
> [..]
> To support <FILENAME> new browsers will have to be made.  To support CSS,
> nw browers have to be made.  It would be pointless to create a <FILENAME>
> element because if browers supported this, then they would also support
> <SPAN CLASS=Filename>, which is a better solution.

Under that logic, we can use <SPAN CLASS=Strong> etc. The advantage
of <FILENAME> is that it tells the UA that the element contains a
filename. <SPAN CLASS=Filename> just tells the UA that the element is
marked up differently, and says nothing about the logical content.

As it is, browsers don't support useful markup tags like <PERSON>,

It would be nice if browsers at least supported them as 'null'
elements (with no change in appearence) so that once can use them in
situations like <PERSON CLASS=Contributor> etc.

Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (
Se habla PGP.