Re: misuse / abuse of html (was Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?)

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:39:53 -0700

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:39:53 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: misuse / abuse of html (was Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?)

At 9:15a -0700 07/10/97, Matthew D. P. K. Lanier wrote:

 > i agree that overriding of scalability issues is an abuse of tables,
 > though i must take issue with your concessions to many of the recent uses
 > of tables.
 >
 > i label as abuse any use of html that makes it more difficult for non-gui
 > browsers to fully access the presented information.  this can take many
 > forms, from use of tables for purely layout purposes to imagemaps without
 > corresponding textual navigation.  call me crazy, but i refuse to support
 > the assumption that the only market out there is graphical.

I agree! I make fancy nested tables with background cell colors, but these
same pages of mine are fully functional and legible in Lynx 2.5. I use ALT
attributes on my images, too. I care about *all* visitors to my site.

 > if you try to convert a table-based page to hdml, it won't be pretty.

Heh, just about *every* page, table or not, would be difficult to convert
to HDML; it's a completely different paradigm (excuse the buzzword).